ALBERTA CHESS ASSOCIATION
PO Box 11839 Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3K9
The Alberta Chess Association is currently seeking a full time Administrator (Executive Director). The main
function of the Administrator is to oversee the many administrative and day to day operational tasks of the
Alberta Chess Association. The Administrator assists the Association’s volunteers with the tasks that need
to be done for the many tournaments and projects that the Association is running and to ensure that the
tasks are completed. The Administrator receives guidance and direction from the President and reports
directly to the President and another board member.
· Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Must possess strong administrative skills.
· Must be able to show initiative and reliability.
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
· Must have good attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
· Must have very effective organizational skills.
· Must have excellent computer skills: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, email.
· Must have a demonstrated ability to work effectively, both individually and as part of a team.
· Knowledge about the game of chess is desirable but not mandatory.
§ Experience in a similar role as an administrator, office manager, or executive assistant.
§ Experience with setting up and designing web pages.
§ Experience with producing Newsletters.
§ Experience with maintaining membership lists.
§ Experience with accounting and budgeting.
§ Experience working with a non-profit volunteer driven organization and with knowledge of
Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission Casino Guidelines would be an asset.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Tournament Support
- Ensure that all tournaments are advertised at least 2 months before the starting date. If the
organizer is slow in setting up the event, help with arrangements (book venue, find a TD etc).
- Register tournaments with the CFC to be FIDE rated. Ensure that a rating report is sent to
the CFC after the completion of every tournament.
- Ensure that all tournament expenses (room rental fees, TD honoraria, rating fees, trophies)
have been paid.
- If necessary, help direct a tournament or be an assistant.
- Manage ACA coaching awards.
· Alberta Chess Report (ACR) Newsletter Editor
- Ensure that the ACR is published 4 times per year.
- Collect all articles from members and include them in the next newsletter; ensure that there is
a report for all completed tournaments.
· ACA Website Maintenance
- Ensure that all tournament webpages, games, club listings, Board of directors, ACA
instructors and Board meeting minutes are up to date.
- Renew ACA website domain name and hosting.
· Membership coordinator
- Maintain list of members and ensure that the list is current and up to date.
- Ensure that the ACA is correctly remunerated for memberships.
· Maintain Equipment / Paper inventory
- Maintain the list of ACA equipment.
- Help ensure that every ACA tournament has adequate supply of equipment (chess sets,
clocks, score sheets, trophies, pens, paper).
· Complete AGLC applications, requests and reports.
· Complete RPAD annual report.
· File Society Annual Return to the Corporate Registry
· Manage Executive Director payroll
· Renew ACA insurance annually.
· Attend Board meetings to take minutes.
· Pick up mail on a regular basis and respond as necessary. Forward letters to President, etc.
Renew ACA P.O. Box annually.
· Respond to all inquires in a timely fashion.
· Coordinate ACA school programs
· Solicit for sponsors and sources of revenue.
Other Administrative Duties:
· Administer the distribution of cheques.
· Attend RPAD and AGLC meetings on behalf of the association.
· Coordinate Casino volunteers.
· Book venue for ACA Board meetings.
LOCATION: Edmonton or Calgary
SALARY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE
$ 3,500 per month based on 35 hours per week (maximum $42,000/year)
HOW TO APPLY
We appreciate the interest in this position shown by the applicants. However, only the applicants selected
for an interview will be contacted.